Sunday, May 03, 2009

Bird Photography Weekly

After returning from a week of warbler watching with the New River Birding Festival, I walked around the backyard, checking the plants for growth, insects, etc. To my surprise, I heard a thrush song with an echo in it. Could this possibly be a Hermit Thrush? In my backyard?

Rushing in for the binoculars and camera, I was pleased to find a Swainson's Thrush instead. This is the third year straight I've found one of these birds during the first weekend in May. This is the first time, though, that it has appeared in my yard! How delightful to hear it singing a duet with itself as well.

2 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

I followed a link on Bill of the Birds and I'm so glad to have found your blog. Great photographs of the trip!

I will look forward to following your blog in the future and to reading the archives.

Mary said...

Hi Kathy,

I enjoyed seeing your fabulous photos here. Lots of memories at New River...

It was a great pleasure to meet you and spend time with you and Dick on those wet days :o)

Mary