Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Giraffes and Vultures at the Zoo

We've been going to the Louisville Zoo for over 30 years, and the animals usually just sit there. Today we had lots of interaction among them, making this the best day at the Zoo! I never paid much attention to the Vultures before. This time, the Griffon Vulture was standing on a large rock in the giraffe enclosure (where it has always lived) and its beautiful brown and white feathers caught my eye. Want a better look? Here are my big wings...
...and if I flap a bit I can take off, but I won't because it freaks out all the little kids.
Ah, get that itch! A little more stretching and I can reach it.
I am Vulture. Keen of eye with a sharp rending beak for anything I find lying around dead.
The giraffe herd includes two females, two young and the BIIGGGGG male. Crosby here is the youngest, born on January 11, 2010, at 130 pound, and 5 feet 10 inches. He's grown a lot in the months since then.

When the male giraffe, Walker, strode over, I really had to strain to look up at him. But what a surprise when he walked to the baby and started licking and grooming him! Head rubbing looks like real affection. Somehow I didn't expect male giraffes to behave this way.
Hold still, son, you've got a dirty spot right here.
Someday, I'll be as big as my Dad...
...but for now, I'll just enjoy the breeze and see if I can eat a few of these plants growing by the rocks.

3 comments:

Wilma said...

Great new header photo! The vulture looks very cool, too. Like you, I can't believe how sweet the male giraffe was to the little. I really enjoyed your day at the zoo!

cheers,
Wilma

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Love these very much. I actually entered the name the giraffe contest, one of my three entries was Twiga, oh well they named him something very common afterall, after a school, I believe. Love how you captured the giraffe so close to the vulture~

Kathie Brown said...

I LOVE giraffes and that vulture is amazing. I have never heard of a griffon vulture!