Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Start the New Year Right


Whoa! I just realized I haven't posted anything here since we went to Florida in November. What's been going on? Well, try volunteering, taking care of raptors at RROKI, Grandma duty, bad weather, or preparing for the holidays. I know, excuses, excuses. I'll try to do better in 2014. On New Year's Eve, I drove out to a Shelby County, KY, farm looking for Short-eared Owls. Saw them at this location several times last year, but last night I only saw one Kestrel and some Mourning Doves. The sunset was beautiful though, and gas at the local Kroger's was only $3.05 before a $.45 discount, so the trip wasn't a complete loss! In Louisville, gas costs $3.45 right now.
New Year's morning sped by as we took down all the decorations and packed them away till next year. Dick and I headed out to the Anchorage Trail for a walk in the sunshine and a little birding. The single Mute Swan who lives at the lake came over looking for a handout...
...while a trio of Green-winged Teal stood in the shallow water, looking in all directions.
Dick's sharp eye found this Red-Shouldered Hawk perched in a tree.
It seemed to be looking for prey at first, then watched for dogs walking under the tree.
Finally it looked directly at me and my camera! I think they hear the motor on the lens as I zoom.
Yes, definitely too many dogs, so it flew closer to the lake.
Allowing me to get this wonderful closeup. I'm always amazed that a bird this big has such a small beak.
The first time we walked by the lake we thought it was odd not to hear the Belted Kingfisher as we walked by.  But the second time around, we heard two of them calling back and forth as they flew over the swampy area at the head of the lake. I don't often get nice photos of Kingfishers since they don't sit still very long!

No comments: