Saturday, June 08, 2019

Hog Island Maine - Audubon Bird Camp!

Hog Island Audubon Camp
Yes, it's been a long time since I have posted anything to this blog. Between volunteering many hours each week and being a super-nana to my grandchildren, we haven't had much chance to go birding. However, I heard about a bird camp operated by the Audubon Society in Maine, and when I discovered that it was NOT just for kids, I knew we had to plan for a trip to Maine! Bird Camp here we come!
Boat Dock
Hog Island is only one-fourth mile from the mainland near Bremen, ME, and the boat quickly ferried us across where the Friends of Hog Island helped carry our bags to our cabin. We chose a cabin with our own bath, while other "campers" were in dormitory type housing and walked to the baths.
Interior Osprey Cabin
 
We were warned that early June in Maine can get cold, and we might consider bringing a sleeping bag to supplement the blankets provided. The cabin had glass in the windows, but no insulation or heating of any kind. The first night was very chilly and we wore long-johns under flannel pjs with wool socks! I pulled the blankets up over my face to warm my nose. Fortunately, on other nights it either wasn't as cold or we got accustomed to it really fast. No cell service on the island, so I just turned off my phone altogether.

 The Fish House was our meeting room each day for workshops and presentations by a superb staff of instructors. How often do you get to sit in a chair on the lawn and bird with Pete Dunne!
The Bridge - Dining Hall
Meals were served family style by a wonderful kitchen staff who arose around 4 am to start the day. Of course, the sun itself rose about 4:48 each morning, so we all appreciated hot coffee as soon as we could get it! Quite a few campers were actually from Maine, and the rest from the northeast area for the most part. Some were from Florida and one couple came from California, along with the Dennis' from Kentucky--about 33 campers in all--about 56 folks ate meals each day, and they packed lunches for all of us on the days we left the island for all day trips. The kitchen staff REALLY worked hard.
We lucked out on the weather. Cold the first evening, then clear and warmer. It rained gently two nights - making for pleasant sleeping- but the sun came out the next morning.
I now have a new color in my vocabulary - Maine blue! I know the tide changed several times each day, but it always seemed to be low tide when I looked at the shore.
Black Guillemot
Common Loon
Eider eating a mussel - including shell
Northern Parula
Surf Scoter
Purple Finch
 We saw birds in the yard that were new for some of us, and practiced identifying them by call. But the sea birds were the most interesting to me. I think we got six new life birds in the week, but of course, I would not be able to pick all of them out again confidently. More to come about the fantastic birds we saw...

No comments: