Saturday, May 02, 2020

And They're OFF!




Goldfinch
I've really gotten back into birding this spring. Maybe it's a reaction to being shut up in the house for 6 months of cancer recovery and followed by COVID quarantine. The weather has been gorgeous, when it isn't raining, and I look forward to getting out of the house each day to get some steps in. When birding, I don't get many steps (too many stops), and usually have to go out in the evening for some exercise, but I enjoy it. Today should be Derby Day when people are not socially distant by any means, but they are going to run a virtual Kentucky Derby, based on past Triple Crown winners. Sounds like fun. You can give money online to COVID care, rather than betting on the horses.
Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Yesterday, I just spent the afternoon in the yard, and for some reason, decided to get my camera, just in case some cool bird came to visit. It seems that more people have seen and reported Rose Breasted Grosbeaks in migration this year than I can remember, and I wanted one for my yard too! And glorioski, he landed in a few trees, carefully checking out the yard, before swooping in for some  sunflower seeds from the feeder. I haven't seen one here for many, many years.
Ovenbird in the yard!
 But the most exciting bird in the yard has been an Ovenbird! This one sat on a branch for about 30 seconds before the Grosbeak came, then he flew off. Ovenbirds breed in closed-canopy forests, particularly deciduous and mixed deciduous-coniferous woods, so I was really shocked to find him in my yard. He even flashed his orange striped crown at me! This is a life bird for the yard list.
Yellow-throated Vireo
 We have been exploring some smaller local parks, with pretty good luck. In one of them, I kept hearing some kind of vireo calling, but couldn't pinpoint which one it was. If a bird comes out in the open, I take a picture so I can identify it later one. This one turned out to be a Yellow-throated Vireo. Look at the little yellow spectacles around the eyes. Remember, it can be challenging to sort out the females and juveniles in the spring.

Red-bellied Woodpeckers at nest hole
 It's easy to recognize the churr-churr of this woodpecker, whether you see it or not. This pair must have babies in their nest hole.
Yellow Warbler
 I love it when some brightly colored bird sits in a tree without leaves with the sun shining directly on it. This little Yellow Warbler even treated us with his song as soon as we got out of the car! The best birds are often found in the parking lot!
Yellow-rumped Warbler
 Yellow-rumps are all over, but they can sometimes be a challenge to identify too. You see the black and white, with a flash of yellow, and I often hope it's some other warbler that's a little more rare. But this one makes me smile.
Turkey Vulture in roost
We had set up a trip to Mammoth Cave today with some of our friends from the Beckham Bird Club, and also experts on warblers, for today, but they decided why drive all that way when all the warblers can be found in Jefferson County this year. So we checked out a new HotSpot on ebird last night and decided to go to Harrods Creek Park, in one of the ritziest neighborhoods around. We got there early enough for a space in the small parking lot. By the time we left, more cars were parked on the residential street - which I'm sure the neighbors love. About 8 Turkey Vultures were still in their roost, waiting for the sun to warm things enough to take off. I always love them!
Palm Warbler
Down the trail, there were several parties of birders, and it turns out we knew many of them, so we all tried to be "socially distant," which is hard when you are all peering after the same small bird! As always, they saw birds I couldn't find, but I'm happy with the photos I got today.
Blue Jays
Orchard Oriole
Both Baltimore and Orchard Orioles nest in these bottom lands by Harrod's Creek.
Indigo Bunting
We debated whether this was the Indigo Bunting or a Blue Grosbeak. Of course, we couldn't see the rusting wing patch of the grosbeak, but decided the bill shape made this bird the bunting.
Red-eyed Vireo
You seldom see these Rd-eyed Vireos, although they sing in the woods all day long. Here I am, where are you? Wood Thrushes sang out of sight.
Red-headed Woodpecker
Last time we went to Beckley Creek Park, I looked for Red-headed Woodpeckers, having seen them there along Floyd's Fork in previous years, but with no luck. Today, I spoke the seldom used phrase, "it's another Red-head!" If the Pileated Woodpecker had shown up (and I'm sure it lives there) we would have seen all the local woodpeckers in one spot.
Summer Tanager
Finally, another of my favorite birds. Well, I guess they are all my favorites as I see them! A few years ago, this was a nemesis bird for me. Just couldn't find one. Then when I saw my first at Mammoth Cave, I've found them everywhere. Isn't that just how it goes?

No comments: