Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Life Birds

White-faced Ibis
Although it was cool and breezy this morning, we went to Cherokee Park, hoping to find some of the warblers other birders have been seeing there. Unfortunately, we didn't clearly see much in the way of warblers, so we came home. But, while I was working on the computer, and email came through - someone had found a White-faced Ibis at Hays Kennedy Park, not far from home. I knew this would be a rare bird, but learned that it breeds out West, and shouldn't be in Kentucky at all!
White-faced Ibis
As it probed the shallow waters of a vernal pond, eating crawdads and the like, the birders migrated in, cameras in hand. The sun was out, and this bird turned almost turquoise on the back, his feathers were so iridescent! How exciting to get a life bird right here at home!
Bank Swallows
One of the top birders I know was there when I arrived, and we watched about 20 swallows skimming the top of the pond. They were brown, so I thought they were Roughwings, but he said they were Bank Swallows, another life bird for me! They have a brown necklace to look for in the ID. In North America their numbers have mysteriously plummeted since 1970, and they are recognized as a Common Bird in Steep Decline. They nest in holes in the mud banks of streams.

Spotted Sandpiper
This is cool! I should walk down the other vernal pond and see what's there as well. I scanned the muddy edges, looking for shore birds and found some-first a Spotted Sandpiper with distinct brown spots and tail bobbing every step he took. Hey, I'm getting better with these sandpipers- this is the second one I've gotten right.
Greater Yellowlegs
A little way further down the pond, and I spotted more movement along the edges. This one had yellow legs, but there is a Lesser Yellowlegs and a Greater Yellowlegs. When I got home, I looked them both up for comparison, and think this one has the longer bill and is the Greater Yellowlegs, but I'm going to ask some friends for confirmation.
Canada Goose and goslings
There are usually some ducks or geese in this pond. In fact, you have to watch where you step if you get close to the water. These goslings look well developed. Mom and Dad kept a close eye on them.
Common Yellowthroat
Hays Kennedy is primarily a recreational park, not a nature preserve, but the Garvin Brown Nature Preserve is right past the end of the pond. I'm here, why not check it out. Of course, the battery on my phone was getting low, but I brought a portable phone charger just for this situation. Unfortunately, every time I took it step it dinged, to indicate losing or gaining the charger connection. I'll have to make some tests to see if I can get this process to work quietly and make a consistent charge for my phone.
Eastern Kingbird
Part of this Preserve is wooded, part is wooded and flooded (there's a word for that but I don't remember what it is), and part is a big meadow along the Ohio River. My favorite bird from the meadow were a couple of Kingbirds perched over the blooming flowers. No eagle today. And no Bluebirds either. Wonder if anyone else has been missing the Bluebirds this spring.

Great Blue Heron

Heading back to the car, with aching feet and an almost dead phone, I spotted a Great Blue Heron. He would peer into the water, then slowly, slowly move his head down, until SPLASH! He plunged his beak in the water and came up with something tasty - a small fish or crustacean. He swallowed them so quickly I never really saw what he was catching. But he was in full breeding plumage and looked beautiful!

No comments: